Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I might wear pink on the outside- but I am as tough as nails on the inside.


In a recent interview I was described as the softer gentler side of the Republican Party. I corrected the statement by saying I might wear pink on the outside- but I am as tough as nails on the inside.
I am different from the candidates that we usually see for the Republican Party, and because I am a woman, do not mistake that for weakness. I have been a strong advocate for you already.  What makes me different it that I am just like you! And we are tired of electing people who claim to be listening but go to Helena to pass their agenda. We have seen too much of our time and resources of late wasted on fueling a good ol’ boy brawl in this party. What makes me different is that I am willing to go to Helena leaving my ego at the door and rolling up my sleeves to work on real solutions!
I get asked, “What are your qualifications?” I thought about my answer to this question first by lining out all of my accomplishments, and then I thought more about the question. I realized I am qualified for a Citizen Legislature because I am just like you. We raise our families, we work hard at our jobs, and we give to our church and volunteer in civic groups. We serve those in our community, and this is an extension of that service.
I have been to Helena as a legislative spouse and as an active citizen. I have not held elected office but I have served in Helena!
I honor my fellow legislative spouses, wow, if you are active in that process, your roll is tremendous! There was so much to learn during that time when Derek was serving. I studied the rules, read the bills, navigated legislative services. And above all learned the importance of the relationships with the other legislators and the ability to work together. I continue those relationships today and it was those leaders who have encouraged me to run in this season, to take those skills of leadership and come back in a new role. Those experiences make me a leader day one in Helena.
The things I learned in the sessions as an active citizen made me realize that the empty chairs in a committee hearing were not empty because people did not care about the issue or the bill discussed. They were empty because we are working, we are raising our families, we are in our community serving and don’t have the ability to be there. As your Representative I will always consider the people who would be in that room if they could have made it. The seats in that room not occupied have a voice.
And finally, my time at the doors has given me an opportunity to listen.
In 2010 the mantra was jobs, jobs, jobs.
Today I hear so much more. While Economy if a big concern, it is not just about jobs. People want choice- choice in education, choice in healthcare, and choice in how to recreate in Montana. Accessing our resources and land is about growing the economy as well as enjoying the reason why we live here. Transparency and government accountability are important to so many people who see government exceeding its Constitutional role
And finally privacy, we are seeing so much of our daily life invaded by the overgrowth of government and we are losing the ability to live safe and secure. Too many people I have talked to recently have said they fear their government and don’t know who to trust anymore.
When our leaders are feared, when our government is bigger than us we need to flip that upside down and put people just like us in leadership positions to bring it back around.
I am Ronalee and I appreciate your support, your vote and above all your prayers for my heart to remain true through all things.
Visit my website: www.ronaleeskees.com